KOTA BAHARU, June 16 (Bernama) - The state government will boycott the opening of Kelantan Fiesta 2010 Wednesday night claiming that the organiser had broken its promise to allow Menteri Besar Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat to speak.
State Local Government, Tourism and Culture Committee chairman Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan said organiser Red Carpet World Wide Sdn Bhd had contravened terms of the agreement signed with the state government.
The fiesta was to be launched by the Regent of Kelantan, Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra and attended by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in the compound of Sultan Mohammed IV Stadium.
He said originally, Tengku Faris was to launch the fiesta while Nik Aziz was scheduled to speak, but now the regent would not be launching it while Nik Aziz could not address the audience.
Takiyuddin who is also fiesta committee chairman said the organiser had hurt the feelings of the state government which had been disregarded in many matters.
He said the state government would not stop the three-day fiesta provided it abide by terms approved by local authorities but added activities like '1001 pesilat' and making of the giant drum had been cancelled.